Friday 27 August 2010


I’m back in the civilised world, well France anyway….

I’m sad to say I’m disappointed with the race back from the Azores.

I got off to a great start in very light breeze I managed to keep with the front few boats. Going into the first night I decided to opt for a shorter course more on the rhum line than the routing had suggested. This paid off and the 2nd day I was in 2nd position with a long gap behind. But in the second night as the breeze came up my problems began. Through the night all 3 spinnakers I have ripped! The worst thing was that it wasn’t down to human error or trying to push to hard, they just started disintegrating.

So I had another 6 days of downwind sailing with no spinnakers, trying to soak down with a code 0. It was very painful; especially knowing the rest of the fleet would be flying along.

I changed my tactics and tried to sail the best route to be most I range for the 0 but it was hard with the wind direction.

I was sure I’d be one of the last boats back but I ended up doing okay somehow. There are still boats coming in. I’ll find out official results soon.

Now, some busy days packing the boat away on the trailer and getting it ready to take either back to Lorient or the UK. Then off to Dark Shadow in Sardinia for the Maxi Worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment